Latest release

Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia

Statistics about education related revenues and expenditures across various levels of government in Australia

Reference period
2018-19

Main features

Government expenditure on education in Australia

This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2009-10 to 2018-19. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-primary, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses. In this release, school education collectively refers to pre-primary, primary and secondary education.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2013-14 to 2018-19.

Operating expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $5,523m (5.5%), from $99,579m in 2017-18 to $105,102m in 2018-19. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government was $38,264m, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $68,877m. Intra-sector transfers were $33,594m.

Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2018-19, $54,130m (51.5%) was spent on school education and $38,375m (36.5%) on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $52,604m accounted for 50.1% of total educational expenses with the remaining 49.9% being on non-employee expenses ($26,201m), depreciation ($4,469m), and transfer expenses ($21,826m).

Download

Government operating expenses on education, by level of government

 2013-14
($m)
2014-15
($m)
2015-16
($m)
2016-17
($m)
2017-18
($m)
2018-19
($m)
Commonwealth Government
33 291
34 294
34 655
36 148
37 254
38 264
State and local governments
55 576
57 300
59 501
62 266
65 171
68 877
Control not further defined (a)
23 584
25 575
26 636
28 008
29 440
31 555
Less: Intra-sector transfers
26 670
28 659
29 539
31 063
32 285
33 594
All levels of government
85 781
88 510
91 253
95 359
99 579
105 102
a. The Control not further defined (n.f.d) sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

 

Government operating expenses on education, by purpose, all levels of government

 2013-14
($m)
2014-15
($m)
2015-16
($m)
2016-17
($m)
2017-18
($m)
2018-19
($m)
School education
43 075
44 640
46 743
48 893
51 469
54 130
Tertiary education
30 542
32 005
33 028
34 540
36 004
38 375
Other education
12 164
11 865
11 482
11 926
12 107
12 597
Total by purpose
85 781
88 510
91 253
95 359
99 579
105 102
   

Government operating expenses on education, by economic transaction, all levels of government

 2013-14
($m)
2014-15
($m)
2015-16
($m)
2016-17
($m)
2017-18
($m)
2018-19
($m)
Employee expenses
42 309
43 762
45 696
47 732
49 953
52 604
Non-employee expenses
20 864
21 721
21 944
23 034
24 115
26 201
Depreciation
3 726
3 854
4 020
4 185
4 275
4 469
Current transfer expenses
18 447
18 954
19 354
20 152
20 992
21 565
Capital transfer expenses
436
219
240
257
244
261
Total by economic transactions
85 781
88 510
91 253
95 359
99 579
105 102
   

Inquires

For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or email client.services@abs.gov.au. The ABS Privacy Policy outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to us.

Data downloads

Tables 1-19 Government finance statistics, education, Australia

Previous catalogue number

This release previously used catalogue number 5518.0.55.001.