Farmers reminded to complete Agricultural Census
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) is calling on farmers across Australia who have not completed their 2020-21 Agricultural Census to do so now.
Head of ABS Agriculture Statistics, Amanda Clark, said that while the response to date had been positive, farmers still need to complete their Agricultural Census.
“Many farmers have already responded, and we thank them for doing so. For those who haven’t, it’s not too late. Every response is important to ensure the statistics accurately reflect what’s happening in Australia’s agriculture sector.
“If you've put off completing your Agricultural Census because you think it will take too long, you may be pleasantly surprised. Farmers who've already responded have said it was quick and easy to complete."
Information about agricultural production, land and water from the Agricultural Census is used by government and industry to better understand and support communities and the agriculture industry into the future.
The ABS is also reminding people who haven’t completed the separate Census of Population and Housing that it is now overdue.
“Farmers’ participation in both the Census of Population and Housing and the Agricultural Census is critical,” said Ms Clark.
“While the Census of Population and Housing counts each person and household in Australia on Census night, the Agricultural Census measures agricultural production. Having both censuses this year will provide an important snapshot of who we are, and how our communities are changing. This will be particularly relevant for our communities that rely on the agriculture industry locally.”
- Further information about the Agricultural Census can be found on our 2020-21 Agricultural Census information page.
- Further information about the Census of Population and Housing can be found on our 2021 Census information page.
- When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
- For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team via firstname.lastname@example.org (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.