Businesses continue to adapt and modify operations
Businesses have continued to adapt their operations in response to COVID-19, according to results released from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today.
ABS Head of Industry Statistics, John Shepherd, said the latest Business Conditions and Sentiments Survey captured information on how businesses are responding to supply chain disruptions, teleworking arrangements, and the extent to which COVID safe controls are impacting businesses.
“Three in ten (30 per cent) businesses are experiencing supply chain disruptions, with 37 per cent of these businesses affected to a great extent.”
Mr Shepherd said businesses are responding to these disruptions by changing ordering processes (62 per cent), changing the way products or services are provided to customers (41 per cent) and changing suppliers (39 per cent).
“Another response from businesses has been to increase teleworking.” Mr Shepherd said. “Before COVID-19, one in five (20 per cent) businesses had staff teleworking. Currently, 30 per cent of businesses have staff teleworking with 45 per cent of these experiencing improved staff wellbeing as a benefit.”
The survey also showed nearly two thirds (64 per cent) of businesses are being adversely impacted by COVID safe controls such as additional cleaning requirements, provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to staff and physical distancing of customers and employees, with one in five (21 per cent) being impacted by at least one of these controls to a great extent.
Data was collected between 14 April and 21 April. Further information is available in Business Conditions and Sentiments (Cat. No. 5676.0.55.003).
The ABS thanks all those who contributed data to this release.
- This publication was previously named Business Indicators, Business Impacts of COVID-19.
- The additional ABS products published to understand the economic impact of COVID-19 can be found on a dedicated page on the ABS website.
- When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
- For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team via firstname.lastname@example.org (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.