Data Explorer user guide
User assistance for Data Explorer, a free online tool which allows you to search, explore and manipulate detailed ABS statistics
Data Explorer is an free online tool that presents data in a searchable, flexible and dynamic way. It is an interactive web browser interface where you can view, query and download data.
Data Explorer allows you to:
- Search and discover detailed ABS statistics
- Filter and customise data to your own requirements
- Generate custom tables and charts
- View valuable metadata alongside the data
- Export data in a range of formats such as Excel and CSV
- Bookmark and share your custom data tables
- Automatically generate Application Programming Interface (API) calls to pull data into your own system
Datasets are loaded as soon as possible after their 11:30am release on the ABS website.
However, data in Data Explorer may not necessarily be the most up to date. You are advised to check the ABS website (abs.gov.au) for the latest data.
Data Explorer includes support for assistive technology such as screen readers. The "enable/disable accessibility support" button activates this feature. The button is located in the top right of the screen and should be read first by screen readers.
About the data
Data Explorer organises data in the form of dataflows. Each dataflow is a multi-dimensional dataset. Dimensions are axes on which the data is described. For example: time, frequency and region.
Every dimension contains a pre-defined list of items, called dimension members. In the Time dimension, for example, the dimension members are the different time periods.
Data Explorer also includes metadata to provide additional information about the data you are viewing. This includes the unit of measure (e.g. Australian dollars), unit multiplier (e.g. thousands) and cell-level annotations (e.g. revised or not available).