Employment and unemployment
Labour Force, Australia
Seasonally adjusted estimates for October 2020:
- Unemployment rate increased to 7.0%.
- Participation rate increased to 65.8%.
- Employment increased to 12,773,900.
- Employment to population ratio increased to 61.2%.
- Underemployment rate decreased to 10.4%.
- Monthly hours worked increased by 21 million hours.
Job Vacancies, Australia
Seasonally adjusted estimates
- Total job vacancies in August 2020 were 206,000, an increase of 59.4% from May 2020.
- In the private sector vacancies were 184,100 in August 2020, an increase of 65.4% from May 2020.
- In the public sector vacancies were 21,900 in August 2020, an increase of 22.0% from May 2020.
Employment and Earnings, Public Sector, Australia
There were 2,041,200 public sector employees at the end of June 2020 comprising:
- 246,000 employees in Commonwealth government;
- 1,609,100 in state government; and
- 186,000 in local government.
Total public sector cash wages and salaries in 2019-20 was $174,139.5 million.
Labour Account Australia
In seasonally adjusted terms for the June quarter 2020:
- The total number of jobs decreased by 1,028,400 (or 7.0%).
- Secondary jobs fell by 193,400 (or 19.6%), while the number of multiple job holders decreased by 22.7%.
- The total number of hours actually worked decreased by 527.3 million hours (or 9.8%).
- The total number of employed persons decreased by 5.4% to 12.8 million.
Barriers and Incentives to Labour Force Participation, Australia
- The most common reason women were unavailable start a job or work more hours within four weeks was 'Caring for children', while for men it was 'Long term sickness or disability'.
- The most important incentives for people to seek a job or more hours were those related to child-care access and costs.
Participation, Job Search and Mobility, Australia
- Almost 1.4 million people not in the labour force wanted a job, with 70% available within 4 weeks.
- 1.1 million, or 8% of employed people, changed jobs last year.
- 'too many applicants' was the main difficulty for most job seekers.
- Half of underemployed part-timers did not look for more hours.
Retirement and Retirement Intentions, Australia
- There were 3.9 million retirees.
- 55% of people over 55 were retired, up from 53% in 2016-17.
- Average retirement age (of all retirees) was 55.4 years.
- Half a million people intend to retire within 5 years.
- Average age people intend to retire is 65.5 years.
- Pension was the main income source for most retirees.
Labour Account Australia, Experimental Estimates
- Over the six years to June 2016, filled jobs grew by 6.9%.
- Over the same period, the number of employed persons increased by 6.8%.
- Over the six years to June 2016, hours actually worked increased by 5.7%.
- Total labour income increased over the six years to June 2016 by 21.5%.