Employment and unemployment
Labour Force, Australia
Seasonally adjusted estimates for September 2020:
- Unemployment rate increased to 6.9%.
- Participation rate decreased to 64.8%.
- Employment decreased to 12,571,900.
- Employment to population ratio decreased to 60.3%.
- Underemployment rate increased to 11.4%.
- Monthly hours worked increased by 9 million hours.
Job Vacancies, Australia
Seasonally adjusted estimates
- Total job vacancies in August 2020 were 206,000, an increase of 59.4% from May 2020.
- In the private sector vacancies were 184,100 in August 2020, an increase of 65.4% from May 2020.
- In the public sector vacancies were 21,900 in August 2020, an increase of 22.0% from May 2020.
Labour Account Australia
- Total number of jobs decreased 7.0% (1,028,400) in seasonally adjusted terms.
- Total number of employed persons decreased 5.4% in seasonally adjusted terms.
- Job vacancies decreased by 96,000 in seasonally adjusted terms.
- Hours actually worked decreased by 9.8% in seasonally adjusted terms.
Labour Account Australia, Experimental Estimates
- Over the six years to June 2016, filled jobs grew by 6.9%.
- Over the same period, the number of employed persons increased by 6.8%.
- Over the six years to June 2016, hours actually worked increased by 5.7%.
- Total labour income increased over the six years to June 2016 by 21.5%.