International Trade in Goods
- The seasonally adjusted balance on goods decreased $3,375m in September.
- Goods credits (exports) fell $658m (1.4%) driven by Non-monetary gold.
- Goods debits (imports) rose $2,716m (7.5%) driven by Industrial transport equipment n.e.s.
Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia
- The current account balance, seasonally adjusted, fell $7,940m to a deficit of $158m.
- The capital and financial account surplus was $3,124m, a turnaround of $20,261m on the June quarter 2023 deficit.
- The net international investment liability position was $814,685m at 30 September 2023.
International Trade: Supplementary Information, Calendar Year
- Australia's balance on goods and services was a surplus of $155,730m in the 2022 calendar year.
- Total goods and services exports increased $149,786m (29%) to $668,940m.
- Total goods and services imports increased $127,754m (33%) to $513,210m.
International Investment Position, Australia: Supplementary Statistics
- Australia’s IIP was a liability of $856.8b at 31 December 2022, a rise of $81.7b from the end of 2021.
- Foreign investment in Australia rose $432.9b to $4,598.8b.
- Australian investment abroad rose $351.2b to $3,742.0b.
Characteristics of Australian Importers
- The number of importers increased by 23%, to 320,502
- The merchandise imports value increased by 3%, to $309 billion.
- The number of business importers increased by 6%, to 124,507.
- 56% of business importers traded at least once with China.
International Trade: Supplementary Information, Financial Year
- Australia's balance on goods and services was a surplus of $147,931m in the 2021-22 financial year
- Total goods and services exports increased $135,024m (29%) to $593,798m
- Total goods and services imports increased $88,278m (25%) to $445,867m
Foreign Currency Exposure, Australia
As at March 31 2022:
- Australian resident enterprises had a net asset foreign currency balance sheet exposure of $2,389.9b.
- An increase of $1,328.8b (125.2%) from 31 March 2017.
- This is after taking account of hedging through the use of derivative contracts.
Characteristics of Australian Exporters
- The number of exporters increased marginally to 56,274.
- The total value of merchandise exports reached a record high of $382b.
- 62% of all exporters were small exporters.
- The mining industry was the only industry to see an increase in the number of exporters in 2019-20, increasing 4%.
International Merchandise Trade, Preliminary, Australia
• Exports of goods in June 2021 increased $2,889m (8%) to $41,287m
• Imports of goods in June 2021 increased $2,122m (8%) to $28,015m
• For June 2021 there is a goods trade surplus of $13,271m (original, current price, merchandise trade basis)
Australian Outward Foreign Affiliates Trade
- Australian enterprises own 5,176 foreign affiliates.
- Australian owned foreign affiliates total number of employees were 412,000.
- Australian owned foreign affiliates total sales of goods and services were $213,044m.
- Total assets of all Australian owned foreign affiliates were $1,956,303m.