International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia
- The seasonally adjusted balance on goods and services surplus decreased $227m in October.
- Goods and services credits (exports) fell $568m (0.9%) driven by non-monetary gold.
- Goods and services debits (imports) fell $340m (0.7%) driven by Fuels and lubricants.
Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia
- The current account balance, seasonally adjusted, fell $17,023m to a deficit of $2,278m.
- The capital and financial account deficit rose $27,419m to $7,868m.
- Australia’s net international investment liability position was $861,619m at 30 September 2022.
Foreign Currency Exposure, Australia
As at March 31 2022:
- Australian resident enterprises had a net asset foreign currency balance sheet exposure of $2,389.9b.
- An increase of $1,328.8b (125.2%) from 31 March 2017.
- This is after taking account of hedging through the use of derivative contracts.
Characteristics of Australian Exporters
- The number of exporters increased marginally to 56,274.
- The total value of merchandise exports reached a record high of $382b.
- 62% of all exporters were small exporters.
- The mining industry was the only industry to see an increase in the number of exporters in 2019-20, increasing 4%.
International Investment Position, Australia: Supplementary Statistics
- Australia’s IIP was a liability of $809.4b at 31 December 2021, a narrowing of $183.0b from the end of 2020.
- Foreign investment in Australia rose $92.3b to $4,136.1b.
- Australian investment abroad rose $275.3b to $3,326.7b.
International Merchandise Trade, Preliminary, Australia
• Exports of goods in June 2021 increased $2,889m (8%) to $41,287m
• Imports of goods in June 2021 increased $2,122m (8%) to $28,015m
• For June 2021 there is a goods trade surplus of $13,271m (original, current price, merchandise trade basis)
Australian Outward Foreign Affiliates Trade
- Australian enterprises own 5,176 foreign affiliates.
- Australian owned foreign affiliates total number of employees were 412,000.
- Australian owned foreign affiliates total sales of goods and services were $213,044m.
- Total assets of all Australian owned foreign affiliates were $1,956,303m.