The ABS is streamlining the outputs for housing and lending finance statistics. A new publication will be released on 12 February 2019, referencing December 2018. This release will combine Housing Finance, Australia (cat. no. 5609.0) and Lending Finance, Australia (cat. no. 5671.0) into a single, simpler publication called Lending to Households and Businesses, Australia (cat. no. 5601.0).
These changes have been designed with the following priorities in mind:
- Increased efficiency in producing the publication.
- Improved usability of published statistics.
- Alignment with upcoming introduction of the Economic and Financial Statistics collection.
Some previously published data which is not widely used will no longer be released. Some existing outputs will be further disaggregated. New analytical series will also be added with the inclusion of seasonally adjusted and trend estimates for more data items.
This information paper contains experimental estimates for the seasonally adjusted and trend data as the method of seasonal adjustment is different to that used in the current publications of Housing Finance and Lending Finance. It is possible that with the final release of the new publication on 12 February 2019 the seasonally adjusted and trend methodology could be further refined or adjusted, compared to the method outlined in this information paper.
The changes to the method of adjusting seasonally adjusted and trend series include:
- For many statistics, reconciliation techniques have been applied to cause directly adjusted components to add up to directly adjusted totals.
- Direct adjustment has been applied to higher level aggregates than in the past.
When interpreting the statistics it is important to consider factors that may affect the reliability of the estimates.