Hospitality payroll jobs still most impacted
Payroll jobs rose 0.4 per cent across the fortnight to 27 February 2021, according to figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today.
The latest figures showed that the Hospitality industry (Accommodation and food services) continued to be the most affected by payroll job losses over the COVID-19 period. Payroll jobs in the industry were 11.6 per cent below mid-March, while payroll jobs across all industries were 0.2 per cent below.
Bjorn Jarvis, head of Labour Statistics at the ABS, said: “After losing more than a third of Hospitality jobs early in the pandemic, around two in three (67.3 per cent) of these payroll job losses had been regained by the end of February.
“The recovery in Hospitality payroll job losses has continued to vary across states and territories. By the end of February, recovery was weakest in the Australian Capital Territory (55.3 per cent), Victoria (60.8 per cent) and New South Wales (66.5 per cent), and strongest in the Northern Territory (85.4 per cent).” Mr Jarvis said.
Hospitality represents the Accommodation and food services industry.
The ABS acknowledges the continued support from the Australian Taxation Office in enabling the ABS to produce the statistics providing weekly insights into the Australian labour market.
- Payroll jobs are not seasonally adjusted, which generally require at least three years of data. The seasonal changes accounted for in the longstanding Labour Force statistics series should be considered when interpreting recovery in employment statistics through the COVID period.
- In each release, as more complete data are received, payroll jobs and wages estimates are revised.
- While the ABS accounts for employees being paid with different frequencies, there are points in the year when additional reporting activity is more likely to occur, which may flow through to published estimates.
- Estimates of payroll jobs by sub-state regions (Statistical Area 4 and 3) through to the week ending 27 February 2021, will be added to this release on Wednesday 17 March 2021.
- An interactive map examining change in payroll jobs in SA4 and SA3 regions will be updated in this release on Friday 19 March 2021.
- When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
- For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team via firstname.lastname@example.org (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.