Australia's population grew by 1.4 per cent

Media Release
Released
24/09/2020

Australia's population grew by 1.4 per cent

 Australia's population grew by 1.4 per cent during the year ending 31 March 2020, according to the latest figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

ABS Demography Director Lauren Ford said: "The population at 31 March 2020 was 25.6 million people, following an annual increase of 357,000 people."

Natural increase accounted for 38.2 per cent of annual population growth, while net overseas migration accounted for the remaining 61.8 per cent.

There were 305,000 births and 168,500 deaths registered in Australia during the year ending 31 March 2020. Natural increase during this period was 136,500 people, a decrease of 5.0 per cent from the previous year.

There were 564,200 overseas migration arrivals and 343,700 departures during the year ending 31 March 2020, resulting in net overseas migration of 220,500 people. Net overseas migration was down 12.0 per cent compared to the previous year. This was driven by an increase in overseas migration departures (20.2 per cent).

Statistics in this release are partially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting Australian Government closure of the international border from 20 March 2020. Further impacts are expected next quarter against the backdrop of continued travel restrictions.

For regional population estimates see Regional Population, Australia, available for free download from https://www.abs.gov.au/.

Annual population change by state and territory
Population at 31 Mar 2020 ('000)Change over previous year ('000)Change over previous year (%)
New South Wales8157.787.81.1
Victoria6689.4116.51.8
Queensland5160.085.01.7
South Australia1767.217.91.0
Western Australia2656.239.61.5
Tasmania539.66.01.1
Northern Territory245.4-0.4-0.2
Australian Capital Territory429.84.61.1
Australia(a)25650.0357.01.4

(a) Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island, the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and Norfolk Island.

Media Notes

  • When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
  • For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team on 1300 175 070 (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
  • Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.