Arts and recreation turnover rises in March
The Arts and recreation services industry recorded the largest percentage increase in business turnover in March, rising 9.7 per cent, according to monthly figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
Robert Ewing, ABS head of business indicators, said: “Strong ground attendance at AFL events and an earlier start to the NRL season over March contributed to the rise in business turnover for Arts and recreation services.”
Electricity, gas, water and waste services recorded the second largest monthly rise in turnover (+9.5 per cent), followed by Other services (+5.2 per cent) which includes personal care services and selected repair and maintenance activities.
Retail trade saw the largest fall (-2.0 per cent), due to lower turnover for motor vehicles and household goods. This was followed by Construction, which fell 0.7 per cent, with weakness seen across building construction firms.
All 13 selected industries recorded year-on-year increases, led by Accommodation and food services (+19.7 per cent), Administration and support services (+19.4 per cent) and Arts and recreation services (+18.4%).
The ABS would like to thank the businesses whose data helped produce these statistics.
- All figures in this media release are in seasonally adjusted terms.
- The Monthly Business Turnover Indicator is derived using Australian Taxation Office (ATO) Business Activity Statement (BAS) data from monthly remitters.
- Monthly BAS reporting covers businesses with GST annual turnover of $20 million or more and a proportion of smaller businesses that report on a voluntary basis.
- The indicator includes 13 of the 19 industry divisions classified according to the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC), 2006, and provides timely and frequent insights into economic activity, which complement the longstanding quarterly measures.
- When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
- For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Media Team via email@example.com (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our media release notification service to get notified of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.