OWNERSHIP OF OTHER RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY
One in five (20%) of Australian households owned a residential property other than their usual residence in 2017–18. These properties include those that are being rented out as residential investment properties and those used for other purposes, such as holiday homes.
Of the 1.86 million households who owned a residential property other than their usual residence:
- Almost three quarters (71%) owned a single property
- One in twenty (5%) owned four or more properties
- Owners were most likely to reside in either New South Wales (34%) or Victoria (26%)
- Almost four in ten households (37%) were in the highest quintile of equivalised disposable household income
- Just over one in ten (12%) households were in the lowest quintile of equivalised disposable household income
For more data regarding ownership of other residential property see data cube 10, available to download from the 'Downloads’ tab of this product.