NAME OF COLLECTION
Mineral Account and Energy Account
Environment and Energy Statistics Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Locked Bag 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra 02 6252 5613
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6252 5335
Web site: <www.abs.gov.au>
The Mineral Account and the Energy Account are physical environment accounts. The purpose of a physical environment account is to measure the stock of resources, flow of resources through the economy as commodities, and the release of waste and pollutants which result from the economic use of these resources.
The Mineral Account and the Energy Account are compiled from a wide range of statistics, from sources both internal and external to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, to produce accounts which track the use of minerals or energy through the economy. The methodology used to produce the Mineral Account and the Energy Account is based on guidelines in the United Nations' System of National Accounts 1993 (SNA93); and its complement, System for Integrated Environmental and Economic Accounting.
Main data detail
Data items available in the Mineral Account and the Energy Account relevant to the mining industry are:
All data items listed above are available for Australia only, except for the following:
- mineral and energy stock levels;
- mineral volume change tables;
- supply of minerals and energy, including imports and production data;
- use of minerals and energy as intermediate consumption by industry, or as final demand by households, government, and exports; and
- output of related waste products by industry.
Frequency of data availability
At present these accounts are produced irregularly. The Energy Account released in May 2001 is aligned with the format of the Australian System of National Accounts, i.e. stocks and stock volume change tables, and input-output flow tables as per guidelines in the System for Integrated Environmental and Economic Accounting, a compliment to SNA93. The accounts may be updated on an annual or two-yearly basis in the future.
- stock levels of selected minerals from 1985 to 1996, in the Mineral Account, are available by state and territory; and
- volume change tables are available for minerals by state and territory; and identified petroleum resources and undiscovered petroleum resources by petroleum basin (inquiries about these tables should be directed to the contact officer).
Due to data constraints, stocks are measured in years ended 31 December, whereas the flow tables contain data for years ended 30 June.
For the Mineral Account - stock data are available from 1985, while flow data are available for 1992-93 to 1993-94.
The Energy Account contains stock data from 1992 to 1998 and flow data from 1992-93 to 1997-98 and an input-output analysis for 1994-95.
Products and services