NAME OF COLLECTION
Australia's Identified Mineral Resources
Project Leader, Mineral Resources & Advice
Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources
PO Box 378
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Telephone: Canberra 02 6249 9003
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6249 9983
Web site: <http://www.ga.gov.au>
To provide quantitative information on Australia's resources of major minerals and fuels.
Estimates of Australia's identified resources are reported for all major and several minor mineral commodities. The resources are classified according to Geoscience Australia’s (GA) national classification system for identified mineral resources. The estimates and commodity commentaries are prepared by GA's Mineral Resources and Advice Project team. Graphs show long-term trends in economic demonstrated resources for selected major commodities. An important objective is to monitor whether resources are being discovered and developed for production at rates sufficient to maintain Australia’s position as a major supplier of mineral commodities.
The series is derived from analyses of available published and unpublished resource data acquired from mining and mineral exploration companies and other sources. Resource data compiled for national assessments are stored in GA’s MINRES dataset, which is part the OZMIN database.
Main data detail
- commodity name;
- units of measure;
- Australia's total demonstrated economic resources, by commodity;
- Australia's total subeconomic paramarginal resources, by commodity;
- Australia's total subeconomic submarginal resources, by commodity;
- Australia's total inferred economic resources, by commodity;
- Australia's total inferred subeconomic resources, by commodity;
- Australia's total inferred undifferentiated resources, by commodity;
- Australian mine production (from the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics);
- world economic demonstrated resources; and
- world mine production.
Frequency of data availability
Year ended 31 December.
Data are available from 1975.
Products and services
Australia's Identified Mineral Resources 2001 (available from the web site)