|Page tools: Print Page Print All RSS Search this Product|
QUALITY DECLARATION - SUMMARY
The scope of the 2012–13 Retail and Wholesale Industries Survey was all employing and non-employing businesses on the ABS Business Register, classified to the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC06) Division G Retail trade and Division F Wholesale trade.
For the Retail Industry the scope included Australian businesses mainly engaged in the purchase and on-selling, commission-based buying, and commission-based selling of goods without significant transformation, to the general public. The Retail Industry included businesses that purchase and on-sell goods to the general public using non-traditional means, including the Internet.
For the Wholesale Industry the scope included Australian businesses mainly engaged in the purchase and on-selling, the commission-based buying, and the commission-based selling of goods, without significant transformation, to other businesses.
Although the period covered by the estimates was, in general, the twelve months ended 30 June, some businesses were unable to supply information on this basis. In such cases an accounting period for which data could be provided was used for data other than employment which was provided for the last pay period in June, 2013 for all businesses.
The collection is conducted on an irregular basis with estimates generally available within twelve months of the reference period to which they relate. For the 2012–13 reference period, questionnaires were despatched by ABS in August 2013. The estimates are scheduled for release on 31 July 2014.
Non-sampling error arises from inaccuracies in collecting, recording and processing the data. Every effort was made to minimise reporting error, by the careful design of questionnaires, intensive training of survey analysts, and efficient data processing procedures.
Non-sampling error also occurs when information cannot be obtained from all businesses selected in the survey. For the 2012–13 survey of Retail and Wholesale Industries, there was an 80% response rate from all businesses that were surveyed and found to be operating during the reference period. Data were imputed for the remaining 20% of operating businesses. This imputation contributed 11% to the estimate of sales and service income for Retail and Wholesale Industries.
Previous Retail and Wholesale Industry Surveys were conducted by the ABS for the 2005-06 reference period. While the ABS seeks to maximise consistency and comparability over time by minimising changes to the survey, sound survey practice requires ongoing development to maintain the integrity of the data, their relevance to the changing needs of users and the efficiency of the survey. There have been substantial changes in scope and methodology between the surveys, so users should exercise caution when making historical comparisons.
These changes include:
Key annual industry data for ANZSIC 2006 Subdivisions 33 Basic material wholesaling, 34 Machinery and equipment wholesaling, 35 Motor vehicle and motor vehicle parts wholesaling 36 Grocer, liquor and tobacco product wholesaling, 37 Other goods wholesaling, 38 Commission based wholesaling, 39 Motor vehicle and motor vehicle parts retailing, 40 Fuel retailing, 41 Food retailing, 42 Other store-based retailing and 43 Non-store retailing and retail commission based buying and/or selling are published in Australian Industry (cat. no. 8155.0). There are important differences between statistics published in Australian Industry and Retail and Wholesale Industries publications. The Retail and Wholesale Industry Survey was partially integrated with Divisions G & F (Retail and Wholesale) in Australian Industry for 2012–13. Partial integration means that different sample sizes have been used for producing the Retail and Wholesale Survey and Australian Industry estimates. Different sample sizes have resulted in minor variations between estimates due to the presence of sampling error. Users should exercise caution when making comparisons between the two sets of estimates.
Estimates released in Retail and Wholesale Industries, 2012–13 (cat. no. 8622.0) are available as original series only, and are neither seasonally nor trend adjusted.
Although financial estimates in this release relate to the full twelve months, employment estimates relate to the last pay period ending in June of the given year.
Further information about terminology and other technical aspects associated with these statistics can be found in the publication Retail and Wholesale Industries, 2012–13 (cat. no. 8622.0), which contains detailed Explanatory Notes, a Technical Note on Estimation methodology, a Technical Note on Data quality and a Glossary.
Data from the 2012–13 Retail and Wholesale Industry Survey are available free of charge on the ABS website.
These documents will be presented in a new window.