UNIT GROUP 3613 VETERINARY NURSES
VETERINARY NURSES care for animals under treatment and in temporary residence at veterinary facilities and assist Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- holding animals to allow examination and treatment by Veterinarians
- cleaning and sterilising examination tables and equipment
- preparing instruments and handing them to the Veterinarian
- assisting Veterinarians to administer anaesthetics and oxygen during operations
- placing animals in cages for recovery from operations and monitoring their condition
- giving medications to animals
- maintaining stock control and records
- providing animal care advice, and preparing, delivering, and reviewing animal care education programs
- may perform diagnostic laboratory tests
- may act as receptionist, accept payments and undertake clerical work
361311 VETERINARY NURSE
Cares for animals under treatment or in temporary residence at veterinary facilities and assists Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations.
Skill Level: 3