MINOR GROUP 361 ANIMAL ATTENDANTS AND TRAINERS, AND SHEARERS
ANIMAL ATTENDANTS AND TRAINERS, AND SHEARERS care for, groom, train and shear animals, and assist Veterinarians.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- training animals to obey commands and perform in competitions
- bathing, cutting, combing, blow-drying and styling pets' coats, clipping their nails and cleaning their ears
- inspecting, preparing, cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining comfortable animal cages and enclosures
- filling water troughs and feeding animals according to their individual needs
- shearing wool and hair from animals
- assisting Veterinarians to perform procedures and operations
- maintaining animal health records and monitoring animal health conditions and recovery after operations