Review of 2021 Census topics
The five yearly Census provides critical data to inform Australia's important decisions. Every Census, the ABS makes a recommendation to the Australian Government on the topics that should be included in the Census. The ABS has reviewed what information is most beneficial to collect in the 2021 Census and has made recommendations to Government. The final topics to be included is a decision for the Australian Government and will be published in 2020.
Topics collected on the Census
Topics have been organised into the following broad themes and detailed information is available:
What did the public consultation process involve?
The 2007.0 Census of Population and Housing: Consultation on Topics, 2021 provides important details on:
- what information is collected in the Census;
- what stakeholders told us prior to public consultation; and
- what was the criteria for deciding what to collect; and
- what was the process for making a submission.
- the consultation process and the key topic areas people addressed in their submissions;
- what additional information the ABS is considering to collect;
- what information might not be collected in the next Census; and
- next steps to inform our recommendation to Government.