|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
PRIVATE NON-PROFIT RESEARCH AND EXPERIMENTAL DEVELOPMENT (R&D)
Between 2011-12 and 2012-13, private non-profit expenditure on R&D (PNPERD) increased by 2% in current price terms. Conversely, it decreased by 4% in chain volume terms.
Subsequent expenditure figures and supporting commentary relate to current price terms.
PNPERD and Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
In 2011-12 and 2012-13, PNPERD as a proportion of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was almost unchanged at approximately 0.06%.
TYPE OF EXPENDITURE
PNPERD was comprised of $885 million (92%) in Current expenditure and $75 million (8%) in Capital expenditure in 2012-13. Labour costs ($506 million) remained the largest component of Current expenditure in 2012-13, and recorded the largest increase in PNPERD, up $51 million (11%) from 2011-12.
SOURCE OF FUNDS
In 2012-13, PNP organisations mainly performed R&D using funds provided by Commonwealth government ($376 million or 39% of total PNPERD), as well as their own funds ($228 million or 24%).
Of all sources of funds, Commonwealth government recorded the largest dollar increase from 2011-12, up $16 million (4%).
Own funds recorded the largest dollar decrease of $18 million (8%) between 2011-12 and 2012-13.
LOCATION OF EXPENDITURE
Location of expenditure relates to the region in which R&D activity was performed; see also Explanatory Note 27.
In 2012-13, Victoria ($448 million) and New South Wales ($353 million) together accounted for 83% of PNPERD.
South Australia and Victoria recorded the largest dollar increases in PNPERD from 2011-12, up $17 million (120%) and $16 million (4%), respectively.
New South Wales recorded the largest dollar decrease of $23 million (6%) between 2011-12 and 2012-13.
PNPERD and Gross State Product (GSP)
In 2012-13, PNPERD as a proportion of Gross State Product (GSP) was highest for Victoria at 0.13%.
TYPE OF ACTIVITY
In 2012-13, Applied research ($347 million or 36%) and Strategic basic research ($334 million or 35%) together accounted for almost three quarters (71%) of PNPERD.
Compared to 2011-12, the largest increase in PNPERD was recorded by Strategic basic research, up $22 million (7%).
Experimental development was the only type of activity to record a decrease in PNPERD between 2011-12 and 2012-13, down $22 million (10%).
FIELDS OF RESEARCH (FOR)
Medical and health sciences ($749 million) was the largest FOR for PNP organisations in 2012-13, accounting for more than three quarters (78%) of total PNPERD. The next largest FOR was Biological sciences, with $77 million or 8% of total PNPERD.
The largest dollar increase in PNPERD among FOR was recorded by Psychology and cognitive sciences, which increased fourfold between 2011-12 and 2012-13 (up $14 million).
SOCIO-ECONOMIC OBJECTIVE (SEO)
The majority of PNPERD (86%) was directed to the SEO of Health ($824 million) in 2012-13. Education and training was the next largest SEO, with $56 million or 6% of total PNPERD.
Environment (up $6 million or 54%) and Manufacturing (up $4 million or 20%) recorded the largest dollar increases among SEOs between 2011-12 and 2012-13.
PNP HUMAN RESOURCES DEVOTED TO R&D
PNP organisations devoted 5,678 person years of effort (PYE) to R&D in 2012-13, an increase of 422 PYE (8%) from 2011-12.
All types of resources recorded increases in PYE between 2011-12 and 2012-13, with Researchers up 195 PYE (6%), Other staff up 182 PYE (23%), and Technicians up 45 PYE (4%).
Researchers remained the largest type of resource in 2012-13, accounting for 60% of total PNP human resources devoted to R&D.
These documents will be presented in a new window.