THE PLAN AT A GLANCE
STRATEGIC PRIORITY 2: TRANSFORMING THE ABS FOR THE FUTURE
- Continue focus on the six transformation goals set in 2015
- Employ new and enhanced statistical capabilities to support ABS Transformation, enable growth and reduce statistical risk by providing reliable business processes used consistently across the range of ABS statistical activities
- Enhance workforce capability (including leadership) through effective attraction and retention of core expertise, a high performing culture, improved diversity and a safe and healthy workplace
- Ensure security and accessibility of ABS data
- Achieve more efficient and less intrusive data capture
- Achieve more effective but still safe access to data
- Continue enhancement of enterprise risk management maturity.
- Investing in infrastructure to enhance our ability to deliver statistical solutions, enabling us to exploit new opportunities and better meet the evolving needs of users
- Implementing a five year strategic workforce plan to align our staff profile, operational arrangements, capabilities and culture to support a responsive work program and a transformed ABS
- Improving our technology to secure ABS data from inappropriate access
- Effectively using governance, accountability and organisation structure developments to manage the ABS
- Building partnership skills and using collaboration opportunities to ensure the ABS is a responsive partner to stakeholders, delivering quality statistical services and processes, and relevant agencies assist ABS when required.
(See Our Capability
- Complete the delivery of new and enhanced statistical capabilities and improved and standardised business processes through the Statistical Business Transformation Program
- Commence using new statistical capabilities
- Elevate the level of stakeholder engagement through the ABS Stakeholder Engagement Plan
- Increase use of online data collection to improve survey response rates
- Refine our internal governance and accountability framework
- Implement a new ABS job design framework to support new statistical production model
- Action ABS: Our Culture (2018–2021). See Appendix C.
2019–20 to 2021–22
- Deliver enhanced data dissemination capabilities
- Complete the migration to new business capabilities for the majority of statistical activities
- Apply ‘User Centred Design’ approach to the development of statistical collections (including Census)
- Establish a new approach to governing and maintaining our new statistical production systems and infrastructure to ensure planned benefits are realised
- Continue to increase our workforce capability, including our leadership, further enhancing our high performing culture.
- The Transformation Program is effectively implemented, to deliver contemporary systems that will better meet ABS’ future needs
- Transform the workforce to drive improved performance.
(See Our Performance Criteria and Measures in Detail