5. OUR CAPABILITY
To achieve our objectives for 2018–19 and into the period beyond, the ABS will build or maintain our capability as follows:
- Embed an activity-based working model across all ABS workplaces
- Increase access to flexible working arrangements for employees
- A new job design solution to enable transformation of statistical and corporate functions
- Implement a new job design framework to support transformation of statistical and corporate functions
- Support teams to adopt and utilise the new statistical tools
- Invest in people management and leadership to maximise the benefits of Transformation
- Develop future focused statistical and analytical skills, knowledge and behaviours.
- Further develop e-survey technologies to enable more efficient yet secure collection of data to support statistical functions
- Effective engagement with external partners (across the Australian Public Service, States and Territories, researchers and beyond) where required to support our work.
- Develop our skills in:
- Big data and advanced data analytics
- Statistical modelling in estimates projections and impact measurement
- Respondent management and responsive design for sampling error minimisation
- New approaches to integrating data from multiple sources.
- Invest in new ICT infrastructure and related solutions to support transformation of statistical functions
- Operationalise and leverage the investment in new ICT infrastructure and related solutions to support transformation of statistical functions
- Provide a contemporary and collaborative workplace that facilitates broader access to offsite working for ABS employees with attention to data security.
- Develop knowledge of current and emerging policy issues and debates to understand stakeholders needs
- Build data analysis, data integration and statistical knowledge and capability development
- Maintain expertise in domestic and international classifications and frameworks
- Ensure sufficient internal capability to partner with external experts.