CLASSIFICATION AND CODING
THE CLASSIFICATION CRITERIA
16. The two criteria used to form the categories of the classification are the presence of both :
•Need for assistance with self care, body movement or communication activities;
•Long term health condition or disability lasting six months or more, or age over 40.
THE STANDARD CLASSIFICATION AND CODE STRUCTURE
17. 'Core activity need for assistance' is a flat classification having only one level.
18. The categories in the classification are:
1 Has need for assistance with core activities
2 Does not have need for assistance with core activities
Residual categories and codes
19. Not applicable.
20. The following supplementary code is used to code inadequately described responses and non-responses:
0 Not stated
SCOPE OF THE CLASSIFICATION
21. The 'Core activity need for assistance' classification applies to all persons
APPLICATION OF THE CLASSIFICATION TO OTHER VARIABLES
22. The 'Core activity need for assistance' classification is not applicable to any other variable.
23. Responses to the 'Core activity need for assistance' variable are stored as codes of the classification, ie 1 (Has need for assistance with core activities), 2 (Does not have need for assistance with core activities), or 0 (Not stated).