NAME OF COLLECTION
Government Finance Statistics
Coordination and Dissemination Subsection
Australian Bureau of Statistics
PO Box 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra 02 6252 5834
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6251 6470
To enable a valid comparison to be made of total outlays, revenue and financing transactions of the various governments, as well as of their outlays for particular purposes.
The collection provides details of the consolidated transactions of the public sector for all levels of government, compiled in accordance with standards promulgated by the International Monetary Fund and the United Nations. Data are sourced as follows:
- General Government - Budget documents and annual reports; and
- Public Non-financial Corporations - Annual reports and special returns; and
- Public Financial Corporations - Annual reports and special returns.
Commonwealth Government, State, Territory and local governments, combined and separate.
Frequency of data availability
Annual (financial year).
Data are available from 1961-62.
Products and services available
Government Financial Estimates, Australia (cat. no. 5501.0)
Government Finance Statstics, Australia (cat. no. 5512.0)
Government Finance Statistics - Concepts, Sources and Methods (cat. no. 5514.0)
Special data services are available on request
Please note that from 1998-99, Government Finance Statistics will be produced on an accruals basis and was released in this format from March 2000.
- Outlays, revenue and financing transactions for all three institutional sectors,: i.e. general government, public non-financial corporations and public financial corporations;
- Components of outlays by purpose (including details of payments by one government to another); and
- Outlays, revenue and financing transactions excluding inter-governmental transfers, by level of government.
Final consumption expenditure; and
- Gross fixed capital expenditure.