8570.0 - Health Care Services, 2009-10 Quality Declaration 
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 05/07/2011  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All  
Contents >> Specialist medical services >> Persons working


There were 35,187 persons engaged in the specialist medical services industry at the end of June 2010. Of this number 18,957 or 53.9% were registered medical/health practitioners and other staff providing health care. The remainder were administrative and support staff.

Of those providing direct health care services, 17,720 persons were employed by businesses and 1,237 persons were working on contract, indicating that the number of specialist practitioners working on contract is significantly lower than either the general practitioner, or dental industry (refer to Chapter 3). Working proprietors and partners accounted for 6,323 or 35.7% of persons employed by businesses while the remaining 11,397 or 64.3% were employees. Of all employees, 53.8% were permanent full-time, 28.4% were permanent part-time and the remaining 17.8% were casual/temporary.

Previous PageNext Page