SUMMARY OF OPERATIONS
At the end of June 2010, there were 10,105 specialist medical businesses operating in Australia. These businesses:
- operated from 17,169 locations servicing a population of 22.3 million people at the end of June 2010;
- employed or contracted 18,957 registered medical/health practitioners and other staff providing health care;
- generated income of $6.4b during the 2009-10 financial year;
- incurred expenses of $4.1b in the same period;
- generated operating profit before tax of $2.4b; and
- generated industry value added of $4.4b.