Diagnoses and treats diseases, injuries and abnormalities of teeth, gums and related oral structures, prescribes and administers restorative and preventive procedures, and conducts surgery or uses other specialist techniques.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- examines teeth, gums and other tissues using dental equipment and X-rays
- diagnoses dental conditions and plans treatment
- cleans teeth and cavities, fills cavities with restorative materials and extracts and replaces teeth
- constructs inlays and artificial crowns to replace portions of teeth
- designs, constructs and fits dentures, bridge work, orthodontic and other appliances
- advises patients on oral hygiene and provides preventive dental services such as applications of fluoride and sealants to teeth
- may refer patients to dentists specialising in particular methods, or medical practitioners for further examination and treatment
- may administer local and general anaesthetics
- may delegate technical construction to Dental Technicians
- may specialise in particular disorders, treatments or methods requiring additional specialist training
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram