2129-17 Chemical Engineer
Designs and prepares specifications for chemical process systems and the construction and operation of commercial-scale chemical plants, and supervises industrial processing and fabrication of products undergoing physical and chemical changes.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- prepares designs for chemical process systems, and plans control systems for processes such as those used to remove and separate components, effect chemical changes, test and evaluate fuels, transfer heat, and control the storing and handling of solids, liquids and gases
- monitors the operation and maintenance of equipment to achieve maximum efficiency under safe operating conditions
- designs pilot plants
- ensures that correct materials and equipment are used and that they conform to specifications
- interprets reports from other engineers, chemists and technical workers
- diagnoses malfunctions in chemical plants and institutes remedial actions
- prepares analytical reports, feasibility studies and detailed costings of processes
- studies product utilisation and pollution control problems
- may confer with environmental authorities
- may review tenders and supervise contracts
- may specialise in the conduct of experiments and correlation of data to investigate practical chemical engineering problems
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram