UNIT GROUP 2512 WELFARE AND COMMUNITY WORKERS
WELFARE AND COMMUNITY WORKERS assist individuals, families and groups with social, emotional and financial difficulties to improve quality of life by educating and supporting them and working towards change in their social environment or facilitate community development initiatives and collective solutions within a community.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or AQF Diploma. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- providing support while exploring alternatives with clients who experience difficulties such as marital problems, unemployment, illness and drug abuse
- working with long-term problems to bring about client-directed change
- assessing risks and providing intensive short-term crisis counselling for victims of domestic violence, child abuse, disasters and other crises
- assisting to establish or administer a neighbourhood house, community group, employment training program or other service
- researching and analysing community issues, needs and problems
- developing, evaluating and maintaining community resources and programs
- evaluating resources devoted to health, welfare, recreation, housing, employment, training and other community facilities
- interpreting identified needs for community organisations, social agencies and groups, stimulating their interest and enlisting co-operation