2511-11 Social Worker
Assesses the social needs of individuals and groups, and assists people to develop and use the skills and resources needed to resolve social and other problems.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- acts as a contact between clients in need and community services
- assesses resources for health, welfare, recreation, housing, employment and other community services
- provides leadership and assistance for the implementation of pilot projects in community development and self-help
- assists community organisations, social agencies and voluntary groups to improve services or develop new services
- conducts individual or family case interviews to identify the nature and extent of clients' problems
- evaluates information obtained to determine the type of assistance required
- assists clients to understand and resolve problems by providing information and referring them to community or self-help agencies
- monitors the progress of clients by maintaining contact
- compiles case records and reports
- may assist in budget preparation and policy formulation