UNIT GROUP 4232 DENTAL ASSISTANTS
DENTAL ASSISTANTS prepare patients for dental examination and assist Dental Practitioners, Hygienists and Therapists in providing care and treatment.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- receiving and preparing patients
- arranging and handing instruments, medication, and other dental requisites to Dental Practitioners
- preparing dental materials and processing X-rays
- using suction devices and water sprays
- performing routine maintenance on equipment
- sterilising and preventing cross infection of equipment
- may advise patients on dental health education and post-operative care and procedures
- may act as receptionist for Dental Practitioners
- may perform billing and other clerical tasks
423211 DENTAL ASSISTANT
Dental Chairside Assistant
Prepares patients for dental examination and assists Dental Practitioners, Hygienists and Therapists in providing care and treatment.
Skill Level: 4