Rides horses in competitive races, race trials, and in exercises.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. This occupation requires high levels of physical fitness, sporting ability and personal commitment as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience. Registration or licensing is required.
- rides horses in exercises, race trials and races
- receives racing instructions from trainers before races
- determines race tactics with reference to a horse's abilities and track conditions
- monitors the health and condition of assigned horses
- reports to trainers on the performance of the horse after races and exercises
- advises trainers on factors affecting horses
- observes safety requirements relating to equipment and race riding conduct
- may assist with training of horses and undertake stable tasks