7297-11 Clay Products Machine Operator
Produces clay products such as bricks, tiles, insulators, porcelain and pottery ware using machines to shape and fire.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience.
- selects dies, cores, rings and cutter assemblies for installation
- sets controls on automatic cut-off knives or wires to cut extruded clay
- starts mixing machines and adjusts valves to feed and regulate the flow of ingredients
- starts pug mills and turns valves to add water and oil to mixtures or decrease pressure in pug mills
- monitors the flow of clay and clay products into machines and adjusts valves and controls until products meet specifications
- maintains equipment and examines products to detect faults
- operates vertical or horizontal lathes to cut and shape unfired clayware or similar materials, and smooths surfaces
- loads, unloads and operates kilns
- may adjust automatic machines according to patterns specified by work orders or drawings
Brick Extruder Operator