SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
August 2019 to September 2019
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
September Qtr 2019
June Qtr 2019 to September Qtr 2019
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.2% in September 2019. This follows a rise of 0.2% in August 2019 and a rise of 0.2% in July 2019.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.2% in September 2019. This follows a rise of 0.4% in August 2019 and a relatively unchanged result (0.0%) in July 2019.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.4% in September 2019 compared with September 2018.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in September 2019: Food retailing (0.2%), Other retailing (0.3%), Household goods retailing (0.2%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.4%), and Department stores (0.2%). Cafes, restaurants and takeaway services (-0.1%) fell in trend terms in September 2019.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in September 2019: Western Australia (0.5%), New South Wales (0.1%), Victoria (0.1%), Queensland (0.1%), Tasmania (0.4%), the Australian Capital Territory (0.4%), and South Australia (0.1%). The Northern Territory (0.0%) was relatively unchanged in trend terms in September 2019.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover was relatively unchanged (0.0%) in the September quarter 2019.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|October 2019 ||5 December 2019|
|November 2019 ||10 January 2020|
|December 2019 ||6 February 2020|
|January 2020 ||6 March 2020|
|February 2020 ||3 April 2020|
|March 2020 ||4 May 2020|
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.
The reference and base year for chain volume measures are updated each September. A new base year, 2017-18, has been introduced into the chain volume estimates. This has resulted in revisions to growth rates in subsequent periods.
This issue includes updated quarterly measures of retail turnover per capita and online retail turnover estimates for the September 2019 reference. The estimates are provided and explained in the appendix section of this publication.
TIME SERIES DATA
- Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms
- Quarterly measures of total retail turnover per capita.