Environmentally related taxes
The total environmentally related taxes paid by Australian businesses and households in current prices increased by 6% to $40,896m in the 2016-17 financial year.
Energy taxes paid:
- Energy taxes paid increased by 3% to $21,008m
- Total industry increased by 4% to $14,497m paid
- Households remained steady at $6,511m paid
- Excise on Crude oil and LPG was the top revenue type accounting for 88% ($18,428m) of energy taxes paid.
Transport and land taxes paid:
Figure 1. Environmentally related taxes by type ($m)
Figure 2. Electricity emissions and energy taxes
- Transport taxes paid increased by 3% to $11,488m
- Other motor vehicle taxes paid was the top revenue type accounting for 65% ($7,497m) of transport taxes paid
- Land taxes increased by 16% to $8,400m.