Makes and repairs tools, dies, jigs, fixtures and other precision parts and equipment to fine tolerances for machine tools and other production machinery.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies drawings or specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of articles to be manufactured
- positions, measures and marks out metal stock or castings
- sets up and operates machine tools to form workpieces by shaping stock
- checks the accuracy of fabricated items to close tolerances
- fits and assembles tool or article parts, test-operates and modifies them
- sets up, programs and operates numerically controlled, computer-numerically controlled and electrical discharge machine tools
- fabricates press tools, dies, plastic moulds or jigs
- may dismantle faulty machine tools and machines, and repair or replace defective tools, dies and fixtures
- may heat-treat tools, dies and fixtures during fabrication
- may braze or weld parts during assembly
- may design tools and precision equipment
Plastic Mould Maker