Modifies, services and repairs rifles, revolvers and other firearms.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- examines firearm parts and sub-assemblies such as barrels, triggers, bolts, ejectors and magazines for condition and accuracy of fit
- dismantles and corrects by chiselling, filing, scraping, grinding, boring or otherwise machining firearms
- replaces worn and broken parts and reassembles firearms
- treats and polishes metal to limit corrosion and improve finish
- test-operates firearms to ensure smooth operation of moving parts, determine and correct sighting errors, or detect faulty parts and assemblies
- may fabricate, fit and assemble parts for custom-built or other specialised small arms
- may modify guns to customer specifications by re-boring barrels to enlarge calibre, or fitting new stocks
- may make ammunition or refill spent cartridges using special tools and machines
- may shape and fit gunstocks