Inscribes letters, figures and designs on metal, glass, wood, rubber, plastic and other surfaces.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- lays out lettering or designs on objects by sketching on paper or in powder on the objects to be engraved
- marks outlines of designs using scribers, mounts objects in vices and cuts designs with engraving tools
- cleans and polishes engraved areas
- may sketch original designs or copy sketches or photographs
- may brush powder or solutions on to surfaces of dies or plates which imprint designs
- may use pantographs to enlarge or reduce designs
- may operate engraving machines to cut standard designs