4125-11 Metal Casting Tradesperson
Forms sand moulds and cores for the production of metal castings.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- makes full-size section drawings on layout boards to assist in planning for construction and moulding of patterns
- makes core boxes for sand cores, and fits and fastens parts to form patterns or sections
- applies parting agents to patterns and positions vents to allow gases to escape
- fills boxes with sand and packs it in place using hand ramming tools or pneumatic hammers
- sets lower half of pattern on moulding boards and encloses with frame of lower half of moulding boxes
- turns moulding boxes over and secures top half of pattern, and fixes top half of moulding box and repeats moulding operation
- pours molten metal into moulds
- separates moulding boxes, removes patterns, and trims, smooths and shapes surfaces of castings
- repairs or rebuilds worn or broken patterns and mould surfaces
- finishes patterns by applying shellac, lacquer, paint or other finish
- may carry out sweep moulding by rotating templates to scrape moulds to circular shapes