JUNE KEY FIGURES
Mar Qtr 15 to Jun Qtr 15
Jun Qtr 14 to Jun Qtr 15
|RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY PRICES |
|Weighted average of eight capital cities |
|Total value of the dwelling stock |
Jun Qtr 15
|Value of dwelling stock(a) ($m) |
5 761 607.2
|Mean price of residential dwellings ($'000) |
|Number of residential dwellings ('000) |
|(a) all sectors |
JUNE KEY POINTS
CHANGES TO RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY PRICE INDEX
Residential Property Prices,
Weighted average of eight capital cities -
Quarterly % Change
Residential Property Prices,
Quarterly % change -
June quarter 2015
TOTAL VALUE OF THE DWELLING STOCK
- The price index for residential properties for the weighted average of the eight capital cities rose 4.7% in the June quarter 2015. The index rose 9.8% through the year to the June quarter 2015.
- The capital city residential property price indexes rose in Sydney (+8.9%), Melbourne (+4.2%), Brisbane (+0.9%), Adelaide (+0.5%) and Canberra (+0.8%), was flat in Hobart (0.0%) and fell in Perth (-0.9%) and Darwin (-0.8%).
- Annually, residential property prices rose in Sydney (+18.9%), Melbourne (+7.8%), Brisbane (+2.9%), Canberra (+2.8%), Adelaide (+2.7%) and Hobart (+1.5%) and fell in Darwin (-1.8%) and Perth (-1.2%).
- The total value of residential dwellings in Australia was $5,761,607.2m at the end of June quarter 2015, rising $271,939.1m over the quarter.
- The mean price of residential dwellings rose $26,200 to $604,700 and the number of residential dwellings rose by 38,400 to 9,528,300 in the June quarter 2015.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|September 2015 ||15 December 2015|
|December 2015 ||22 March 2016|
|March 2016 ||21 June 2016|
|June 2016 ||20 September 2016|
Changes to the index revision process were implemented in the March quarter 2015. The published index numbers are now considered final. As a consequence, from the June quarter 2015, Table 7, Revisions to Residential Property Price Index Series is no longer published. Further details are available in the Feature Article: Implementation of the ABS Residential Property Price Index Review Outcomes
As a result of Table 7 no longer being published, Table 8, All Index Numbers and Table 9, Established House Price Index, Pre-September Quarter 2005 Methodology, have been renumbered to Table 7 and Table 8 respectively. There is no change to the Series IDs and structure of the table
From the June quarter 2015, the Residential Property Price Indexes: Eight Capital Cities (cat. no. 6416.0) publication is available from the ABS website in electronic format only. The March quarter 2015 release was the final issue that contained a PDF version.
Estimates for the second and third most recent quarters of the total value of dwelling stock are subject to revision (see paragraph 38 of the Explanatory Notes).
This page last updated 22 September 2015