MARCH KEY FIGURES
February 2017 to March 2017
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
March Qtr 2017
December Qtr 2016 to March Qtr 2017
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
MARCH KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate was relatively unchanged (0.0%) in March 2017. This follows a rise of 0.1% in February 2017 and a rise of 0.1% in January 2017.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate fell 0.1% in March 2017. This follows a fall of 0.2% in February 2017 and a rise of 0.5% in January 2017.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.5% in March 2017 compared with March 2016.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in March 2017: Food retailing (0.1%) and Other retailing (0.2%). The following industries fell in trend terms in March 2017: Household goods retailing (-0.3%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory (-0.3%), and Department Stores (-0.1%). Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services was relatively unchanged (0.0%)
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in March 2017: New South Wales (0.1%), Victoria (0.1%), South Australia (0.3%), and the Australian Capital Territory (0.1%). Queensland (-0.4%), Western Australia (-0.1%), the Northern Territory (-0.3%), and Tasmania (-0.1%) fell in trend terms in March 2017.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose 0.3% in the March quarter 2017.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|April 2017 ||1 June 2017|
|May 2017 ||4 July 2017|
|June 2017 ||4 August 2017|
|July 2017 ||7 September 2017|
|August 2017 ||5 October 2017|
|September 2017 ||3 November 2017|
This issue includes updated online retail turnover estimates for the March 2017 reference month. These estimates are provided and explained within the appendix section of this publication.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors. For information on seasonal adjustment and trend estimation please refer to the explanatory notes of this publication.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.