JANUARY KEY FIGURES
December 2015 to January 2016
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
JANUARY KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
- The trend estimate rose 0.3% in January 2016. This follows a rise of 0.3% in December 2015 and a rise of 0.3% in November 2015.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.3% in January 2016. This follows a relatively unchanged December 2015 (0.0%) and a rise of 0.4% in November 2015.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 4.0% in January 2016 compared with January 2015.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in January 2016: Food retailing (0.3%), Household goods retailing (0.5%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.3%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.2%) and Other retailing (0.2%). Department stores (0.0%) was relatively unchanged in trend terms in January 2016.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in January 2016: New South Wales (0.3%), Victoria (0.3%), Queensland (0.3%), South Australia (0.4%), the Australian Capital Territory (1.0%), Tasmania (0.4%) and the Northern Territory (0.5%). Western Australia (0.0%) was relatively unchanged in trend terms in January 2016.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|February 2016 ||4 April 2016|
|March 2016 ||5 May 2016|
|April 2016 ||2 June 2016|
|May 2016 ||5 July 2016|
|June 2016 ||4 August 2016|
|July 2016 ||1 September 2016|
This issue includes updated online retail turnover estimates for the January 2016 reference month and updated consumer sales estimates for the December 2015 quarter.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors. For information on seasonal adjustment and trend estimation please refer to the explanatory notes of this publication.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.
outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to us.