SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
August 2018 to September 2018
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
September Qtr 2018
June Qtr 2018 to September Qtr 2018
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.2% in September 2018. This follows a rise of 0.2% in August 2018 and a rise of 0.2% in July 2018.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.2% in September 2018. This follows a rise of 0.3% in August 2018 and a relatively unchanged (0.0%) result in July 2018.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 3.5% in September 2018 compared with September 2017.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in September 2018: Other retailing (0.6%), Cafes restaurants and takeaway food services (0.5%), and Food retailing (0.2%). Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing was relatively unchanged (0.0%). Household goods retailing (-0.2%) and Department stores (-0.1%) both fell in trend terms in September 2018.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in September 2018: Victoria (0.3%), New South Wales (0.2%), Queensland (0.3%), South Australia (0.2%), and Tasmania (0.5%). The Australian Capital Territory was relatively unchanged (0.0%). Western Australia (-0.1%) and the Northern Territory (-0.9%) both fell in trend terms in September 2018.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose (0.6%) in the September quarter 2018.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|October 2018 ||6 December 2018|
|November 2018 ||11 January 2019|
|December 2018 ||5 February 2019|
|January 2019 ||7 March 2019|
|February 2019 ||3 April 2019|
|March 2019 ||7 May 2019|
This issue includes online retail turnover estimates for the September 2018 reference month. The estimates are provided and explained in the appendix section of this publication.
There are no revisions to the original estimates. The reference and base year for chain volume measures is updated each September. A new base year, 2016-17, has been introduced into the chain volume estimates which has resulted in revisions to growth rates in subsequent periods.
An annual reanalysis of seasonal and trading day factors was also completed, resulting in changes to price deflators used to derive chain volume measures. These changes will result in revisions to published quarterly chain volume measures and the related implicit price deflator series. Note, these changes relate to the Retail Trade series only, and do not impact related series, including Australian National Accounts: National Income, Expenditure and Product (cat. no. 5206.0).
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms
- Quarterly measures of total retail turnover per capita.