MARCH KEY FIGURES
Feb 2012 to Mar 2012
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
March Qtr 2012
December Qtr 2011 to March Qtr 2012
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
MARCH KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.3% in March 2012. This follows a rise of 0.3% in February 2012 and a rise of 0.2% in January 2012.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.9% in March 2012. This follows a rise of 0.3% in February 2012 and a rise of 0.4% January 2012.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.9% in March 2012 compared with March 2011.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in March 2012: Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.8%), Food retailing (0.2%), Other retailing (0.6%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.6%) and Department stores (0.5%). Household goods retailing (-0.5%) fell in trend terms in March 2012.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in March 2012: Queensland (0.6%), Western Australia (0.8%), Victoria (0.3%), the Australian Capital Territory (0.7%), the Northern Territory (0.3%) and Tasmania (0.1%). South Australia (0.0%) was relatively unchanged. New South Wales (-0.1%) fell in trend terms in March 2012.
- In Volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose 1.0% in the March quarter 2012.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|April 2012 ||30 May 2012|
|May 2012 ||4 July 2012|
|June 2012 ||2 August 2012|
|July 2012 ||3 September 2012|
|August 2012 ||4 October 2012|
|September 2012 ||5 November 2012|
There are no changes in this issue.
Original estimates for Food retailing for December quarter 2011 have been revised as a result of updated information received from survey respondents.
Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to revisions to original estimates as well as the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.
TIME SERIES DATA
- Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication, the quarterly chain volume measures and the following additional current price monthly series:
- Retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by six industry groups in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by state in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Neel Tikaram on Sydney (02) 9268 4792.
This page last updated 29 May 2012