Computer and Internet Use
Computer Use at Home (COMP)
The 2001 Census is the first census to seek information on the use of Personal Computers at home. The variable provides information relating to people's use of Personal Computers in the week prior to Census Night. The question on computer use allows for either a 'yes' or 'no' response.
This information will help identify how widespread the use of computers at home has become in Australia for particular regions and population groups.
Personal Computers include:
Game machines are not included.
Internet Use (NETP)
The 2001 Census is the first census to seek information on Internet use. This variable provides information relating to people's use of the Internet in the week prior to Census Night. The question on Internet use allows for multiple responses. For example, a person who had used the Internet at home, at work and elsewhere, would be recorded as such for each category.
Where the response for a person aged under 15 years is, 'Yes, at work', that response will be classified as 'Yes, elsewhere'.
This information will help identify the level and location of Internet use. This is useful to both the government and private sectors for planning purposes.
Internet use includes:
- computers used at home for private and business purposes;
- portable computers e.g. laptops, notebook computers;
- personal organisers etc. which can be plugged into larger computers;
- computers brought home from the workplace; and
- dedicated word processors.
Data on Internet use is available based on the following classification.
The categories which refer to 'at work' (categories 3, 5, 7 and 8) are applicable to persons aged 15 years and over only. The other categories are applicable to all persons.
- Internet connections in private and business applications;
- Internet connection through a computer or television set top box, games machine, mobile phone, or other means; and
- Internet used at other locations including libraries, Internet cafes, shops, educational institutions, or at a friends place etc.
|2||Yes, at home|
|3||Yes, at work|
|5||Yes, at home and at work|
|6||Yes, at home and elsewhere|
|7||Yes, at work and elsewhere|
|8||Yes, at home, at work, and elsewhere|