3303.0 - Causes of Death, Australia, 2008 Quality Declaration 
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 31/03/2010   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All  


Injuries due to External causes of death (V01-Y98), relate to cases where the underlying cause of death is determined to be one of a group of causes external to the body (for example Suicide, transport accidents, falls, poisoning etc.).

In 2008, Injuries accounted for 8,804 deaths, or 6.1% of all registered deaths. The standardised death rate for Injuries was 39.2 per 100,000 of population in 2008, a decrease from 44.6 per 100,000 population in 1999. The standardised death rate for males in 2008 was 56.1 per 100,000 and 23.3 per 100,000 for females.

Compared to women, more men at younger ages have died from External causes over time. Consistent with previous years, approximately two thirds of the total number of deaths resulting from External causes were males (5,819, 65%). Median age at death for deaths due to Injuries registered in 2008 was 46.8 years for males, 73.8 years for females and 52.3 years overall. The potential life lost through deaths due to Injuries was 172,693 years for males and 54,265 years for females.

Transport accidents (V01-V99, Y85) accounted for 1,402 deaths, 16% of all deaths due to Injuries. Of these, 1,036 (74%) were males and the remaining 366 (26%) were females. Transport accidents presented a younger profile in comparison to all deaths due to Injuries, with a median age at death of 36.3 years for males, 45.6 years for females and 38.0 years overall. Potential life lost from deaths due to Transport accidents was 40,615 years for males and 12,015 years for females.

There were 2,191 deaths due to Intentional self-harm [Suicide] (X60-X84, Y87.0) in 2008, which accounted for 25% of all deaths due to Injuries. Of these deaths, 1,710 (78%) were of males and 481 (22%) were of females. The median age at death for Suicide was 42.5 years for males, 43.5 years for females and 42.7 years overall. Potential life lost from deaths due to Suicide was 59,086 years for males and 16,665 years for females.

Care should be taken in interpreting numbers of Suicide deaths. For further information, see Explanatory Notes 72-75.

Previous PageNext Page