UNIT GROUP 3211 AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICIANS
AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICIANS install, maintain and repair electrical wiring and electronic components in motor vehicles.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- using test equipment to locate electrical and electronic malfunctions
- dismantling and removing electrical and electronic assemblies and components
- installing electrical equipment and electronic components in motor vehicles
- connecting power-operated vehicle equipment and accessories to power supply
- adjusting engine control systems and timing
- testing and replacing defective alternators, generators, voltage regulators and starter motors
- repairing and replacing faulty ignition and electrical wiring
- replacing defective parts such as fuses, lamps and switches
321111 Automotive Electrician
321111 AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICIAN
Automotive Electrical Fitter
Installs, maintains and repairs electrical wiring and electronic components in motor vehicles. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3