Prepares, seasons and cooks food in catering and dining establishments.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- examines food to ensure quality
- regulates temperatures of ovens, grills and other cooking equipment
- prepares and cooks food
- seasons food during cooking
- portions food, places it in dishes, adds gravies or sauces, and garnishes
- stores food in temperature controlled facilities
- may plan menus and estimate food requirements
- may prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- may train other kitchen staff and apprentices