UNIT GROUP 4912 PRINTING MACHINISTS AND SMALL OFFSET PRINTERS
PRINTING MACHINISTS AND SMALL OFFSET PRINTERS set up and operate letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, newspaper or small offset printing presses.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- setting, adjusting and monitoring substrate-feed mechanisms, delivery mechanisms, inking systems and other machine functions
- mixing ink and solvents to standard and regulating paper and ink supply during print runs
- monitoring press operations manually or by computer to check print quality and detect malfunctions
- preparing plates, blankets and impression cylinders on small offset lithographic printing presses
- loading paper into feeding mechanisms
- monitoring machine operations and quality of printing
- producing a variety of printed products using relief, lithographic, in-line finishing systems, flexographic or gravure printing presses
- undertaking maintenance, repair and cleaning of machines