DATA ACQUISITION AND COLLECTION
The Data Acquisition and Collection program provides a comprehensive statistical data collection and dissemination service for the ABS that also encompasses administrative data acquisition. The Data Acquisition and Collection Branch is leading the Acquire@ABS program to transform collection operations through introduction of an online reporting capability that will include the first digital Census of Population and Housing in 2016. In doing so, it supports the ABS corporate mission and objectives by providing a high quality, timely and cost effective service while maintaining the trust and cooperation of providers through a range of measures, including:
- efficient and effective data collection operations
- developing and maintaining a skilled and committed home and office-based interviewer workforce
- upholding the confidentiality of information provided to the ABS
- continually improving the processes and instruments to improve ABS interaction with providers.
The main outputs of the Data Acquisition and Collection program are:
- data collection and capture including the capabilities, systems, procedures and instruments for all ABS collections
- provision of the central administrative data acquisition service for the ABS
- advice to subject matter areas on data acquisition strategies encompassing online forms and other modes
- sample management for ABS household surveys
- an active provider engagement strategy to ensure a continued high level of public trust and provider cooperation.
The main medium-term developments in the program are focused around the first phase of the transformation of collection processes and facilities. Key aspects of this modernisation include:
- implementing an online reporting capability for the monthly household surveys - ongoing
- further expansion of online reporting capability for business collections - ongoing
- complete adoption of a new household survey sampling system - due August 2013
- achieving benefits from transformation of household and business collection through introduction of online forms - ongoing
- establishing requirements for enterprise capabilities to meet data acquisition functions - ongoing
- preparing for the next digital Census in 2016 and providing an online reporting capability - ongoing
- establishing the case for further investment in transformation of data acquisition systems and processes - due mid 2014
- commencing integration of online reporting capabilities with foundation infrastructure - ongoing.
Adrian Bugg, Assistant Statistician, Data Acquisition and Collection Branch