VALUE OF BUILDING WORK DONE
2 JUNE KEY FIGURES
Mar qtr to Jun qtr 09
Jun qtr 08 to Jun qtr 09
|Seasonally adjusted(a) |
|Value of work done |
|New residential building |
|Alterations and additions to residential building |
|Non-residential building |
|Total value of work done |
|(a) Chain volume measures, reference year 2006-07 |
|Source: Building Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8752.0). |
- The seasonally adjusted value of building work done in the June quarter 2009 was estimated to be around $2.5 billion. This was almost 4% lower than for the previous quarter and almost 5% lower than for the June quarter of 2008
- The value of all residential building work done in the June quarter fell by 0.5% to $1.6 billion. This was nearly 6% lower than for the same quarter of 2008.
- During recent years, residential building has accounted for approximately two-thirds of the total value of work done.
- Non-residential building was estimated at $890 million in the June quarter 2009. This represents a fall of 9% from the previous quarter and 3% from the same quarter of the previous year.
- After about four years of consistently high growth in trend terms, the value of building work done has dipped in the last three quarters.
- For the first time since the 2001, the value of work done in the June quarter 2009 (trend) was less than the corresponding quarter of the previous year.
This link takes you to time series spreadsheets from Building Activity, Australia, Sep 2009 (cat. no. 8752.0).
Tables 9-11,17 contain Value of Building Work Done.