|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
ARTS AND RECREATION SERVICES 2014-15
As part of the Economic Activity Survey (EAS), the ABS collects detailed information from a rotating program of industries. For 2014-15 the EAS collected additional information from Australian businesses/organisations classified to the Arts and recreation services Division of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification, 2006 edition (ANZSIC).
Businesses/organisations classified to the following subdivisions were asked an expanded breakdown of income and expenses questions:
Subdivision 92 Gambling activities is also in scope of the Economic Activity Survey with businesses/organisations engaged in gambling activities receiving the standard set of EAS questions. Government owned or controlled Public Non-Financial Corporations are included in the EAS however entities classified to SISCA Sector 3 General government are excluded. For more information about the scope of the Arts and Recreation Services collection refer to the Methodology section at the end of this page.
The following table provides key figures for the financial and economic performance of the businesses/organisations classified to Arts and recreation services by subdivision for 2014-15. This is followed by a summary of findings for Subdivisions 89, 90 and 91.
KEY FIGURES - ARTS AND RECREATION SERVICES 2014-15
SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
This page complements the data cube attached to this publication which presents detailed income and expenses information for Subdivisions 89, 90 and 91. This information is presented at the industry group level.
SUBDIVISION 89 HERITAGE ACTIVITIES
The graph below shows that Group 892 Parks and gardens operation contributes approximately two-thirds to the Heritage activities subdivision estimates, with the remainder attributable to Group 891 Museum operation.
Footnote(s): Note that the series labels above refer to ANZSIC Groups 891 Museum operation (private) and 892 Parks and gardens operations.
Source(s): Australian Industry (cat. no. 8155.0)
At 30 June 2015, there were approximately 7,000 people employed in Heritage activities in Australia, an increase of 4.8% over the previous 12 months. Just under 5,000 people were employed in Parks and gardens operation. It should be noted that employment is taken at a point in time and can be affected by seasonal factors.
Total income for Heritage activities in 2014-15 was $818m. The largest single source of income for both industry groups was admissions and ticket sales ($328m or 40.1% of total income). Parks and gardens operation reported $265m (or 80.8%) of total admissions and ticket sales with the remaining $63m (or 19.2%) of total admissions and ticket sales reported by the Museum operation industry group.
Total expenses for the subdivision increased by 1.0% to $721m in 2014-15. The single largest item of expenditure for both industry groups was total labour costs, representing 37.0% of total expenses for Museum operation and 42.2% of total expenses for Parks and gardens operation.
SUBDIVISION 90 CREATIVE AND PERFORMING ARTS ACTIVITIES
The Creative and performing arts activities subdivision is comprised of a single group. There were decreases in most key indicators at the subdivision level with total income decreasing 1.9% to $3,462m in 2014-15. This was consistent with the decreases reported in Employment and Wages and salaries.
The largest source of income was other service income n.e.c. ($1,1b or 32.6% of total income), which includes contract performance fees and income from training and educational programs. The second and third largest sources of income were admissions and ticket sales ($843m or 24.4% of total income) and funding from government for operational costs ($336m or 9.7% of total income).
The largest expenditure item was total labour costs ($912m or 32.9% of total expenses), a reflection of the labour intensity of the performing arts industry.
SUBDIVISION 91 SPORTS AND RECREATION ACTIVITIES
Sports and recreation activities subdivision is comprised of 3 diverse industry groups:
The graph below shows the varying contribution of each group to Total income and Expenses.
Footnote(s): Note that the series labels above refer to ANZSIC Groups 911 Sports and physical recreation activities, 912 Horse and dog racing activities and 913 Amusement and other recreation activities.
Source(s): Australian Industry (cat. no. 8155.0)
There were just over 127,000 people employed in the Sports and recreation activities industry at 30 June 2014-15. The largest contributor to employment was Sports and physical recreation activities (88,545 people or 69.7% of total employment), followed by Amusement and other recreation activities (19,851 or 15.6% of total employment) and Horse and dog racing activities (18,679 or 14.7% of total employment).
Total income and total expenses both increased by approximately 8% at the subdivision level in 2014-15. Sales and service income increased by 9.3% to $13.9b in 2014-15, with businesses reporting positive impacts from major international sporting events. The top 3 sources of income across each industry group are listed below:
MAIN SOURCES OF INCOME BY INDUSTRY GROUP, SPORTS AND RECREATION ACTIVITIES
Businesses/organisations engaged in sports and recreation activities incurred $13.8b in expenses in 2014-15. Similar to the sources of income, the key expense items varied for each industry group. Total labour costs were the single largest item of expenditure contributing to total expenses for Sports and physical recreation activities and Amusement and other recreation activities but only accounted for $480m (or 17.6%) of total expenses for Horse and dog racing activities.
More information about the main sources of income and items of expenditure are presented in the Arts and recreation services data cube available from the download tab of this publication.
A total sample of 2,070 businesses/organisations classified to ANZSIC subdivisions 89, 90 and 91 were selected to receive the extended EAS questionnaire. There was an 86.4% response rate from all businesses that were surveyed and found to be operating during the reference period. Data were imputed for the remaining 13.6% of businesses.
The Arts and recreation services sector covers a diverse range of activities. The ABS used an activity view when designing the questionnaire to maximise the information collected whilst minimising the provider load placed on survey respondents. The table below describes this strategy. The income and expense tables contained in the Arts and Recreation Data Cube are also presented on this basis.
ARTS AND RECREATION SERVICES SURVEY QUESTIONNAIRE STRATEGY
While a business/organisation unit is classified to a single ANZSIC grouping based on its predominant activity, those mainly engaged in arts and recreation services may also undertake other activities. Examples include retail activities such as souvenir shops and hospitality services such as the provision of food and beverage services and accommodation. Businesses/organisations which are not classified to arts and recreation services but provide arts and recreation services as a secondary activity are out of scope of the estimates presented on this page but contribute to the industry estimates for their predominant activity. The activity view of the sector, as described in the table above, is presented in the 'Arts and recreation services' data cube on the Downloads page. Refer to the Explanatory Notes and Technical Note on Estimation Methodology for more information.
The Arts and recreation services component of the EAS was fully integrated, which means that other data cubes in this release which contain estimates relating to Arts and recreation services are consistent with the 'Arts and recreation services' data cube.
These documents will be presented in a new window.